Be Bear Smart when you enjoy the outdoors.
- Carry bear spray & noise maker. Know how to use them, and keep them handy, especially when hiking.
- Always keep dogs on a leash
- Watch for signs of bear activity, such as tracks, scat rolled, logs and rocks, torn stumps, claw marked tress, diggings or anthills torn apart. If these signs are fresh, calmly and quickly leave the area.
- Don’t wear headphones or anything that might interfere with your ability to detect wildlife
- Be extra cautious in area with heavily- laden berry bushes.
- Stay in groups. Make plenty of noise, especially when going into the wind, moving through dense shrubbery and along streams and rivers.
- Pack out all your garbage in airtight containers.